I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for #CollectiveBias and its advertiser. #CMSalutingHeroes
The handsome young man below is my husband – taken sometime around 1995 and somewhere in the northern Atlantic Ocean – during his days in the United States Navy. He credits his love of strong coffee to his Navy days (“where the coffee was as thick as maple syrup,” he often says).
My hubby served for six years aboard a nuclear submarine, and although I have so much love for all of our nation’s veterans and military heroes, he’s the veteran I love the most. That’s why I recently surprised him with a coffee-related treat: coffee made with Coffee-mate creamer (his favorite) and a strawberry and blueberry roulade.
With Independence Day approaching, it’s important for us to remember what the holiday means and those we are honoring. Coffee-mate understands that, and has partnered with an organization called Operation Homefront, which helps provide assistance to wounded military members and their families. Coffee-mate’s contribution helps Operation Homefront provide a wide range of support for military families.
To help celebrate the partnership, Coffee-mate has created a limited-time-only series of red, white and blue-themed bottles. The bottles will only be available at Walmart from Memorial Day through Independence Day while supplies last! (Check out Walmart’s collection of Nestlé-inspired recipes here.)
Coffee-mate joined with Operation Homefront in true support of those who have fought for our freedom (#CMSalutingHeroes). So, join them in raising a “cup o’ joe” – as my husband calls it – to salute our military heroes. My husband is definitely our hero!
Like I said, I served my favorite veteran his cup of joe with a patriotic-colored strawberry and blueberry roulade. He loved it and, if you make it (check out the recipe below), I know you will, too!
- 1 Box Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1 Quarts of Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- 1 Cup of Blueberries
- ½ Cup of Sugar
- 2 Cups of Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all but 2 tbsp each of strawberries and blueberries with ½ cup of sugar.
- Mix cake according to instructions.
- Pour cake batter into cookie sheet, making sure you spread out the batter across the entire pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- To remove cake from the pan, turn pan upside down over wax paper and gently scrape around the edges using a butter knife, allowing the cake to slowly lay onto the wax paper.
- Roll up the cake. Be sure to have a little extra wax paper at the end so the cake doesn’t stick to itself.
- Place in the fridge to cool.
- Once cool, unroll and spread half of the whipped cream over the cake.
- Spoon the strawberries and blueberries over the whipped cream.
- Roll the cake back up.
- Spread rest of whipped cream over the top and sides.
- To[p with some sliced strawberries and blueberries.