This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company, Kellogg Company, J.M. Smucker Company, and The HERSHEY’S Company. All opinions are mine alone. #StartSchoolLikeAChampion #CollectiveBias
My daughter LOVES reading, and I love that she loves it! Nothing makes me happier than to see her curled up on the couch with a book in her hands. So, when I found out that I could earn books by buying some of our favorite food items at Walmart, we were both happy.
By the way, I’m not talking about those “send in 50 box tops and get one book” offers, either. I’m talking about a program that gives you one Scholastic book for EACH participating item you buy. Item’s like Kellogg’s cereal, Pop Tarts, Coca-Cola products, HERSHEY’S KISSES, Smucker’s jam and JIF peanut butter.
The program is exclusive only to Walmart and it’s called “Start School Like a Champion.” I’ve been earning books all summer long and, since we’ve got plenty of books at home, I’ve been paying it forward by donating my books to Caitlin’s Smiles — a local organization that creates craft kits for children in hospitals. (A few years ago, when our daughter had her appendix taken out, a Caitlin’s Smiles craft kit put a smile on her face while she was in the hospital.)
As our own soon-to-be six-year-old gets ready to start kindergarten, athletes are also getting ready for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. That’s why the Team USA sponsors Coca-Cola®, Kellogg’s®, HERSHEY’S, and J.M. Smucker have teamed up with Scholastic to create the Walmart exclusive “Start School Like a Champion” program.
For every purchase at Walmart of the participating products, you will be able to claim one Scholastic book. Now that’s what I call going for the gold! The offer is from June 29 through September 30 and you can claim up to 90 books! That’s a lot of books…enough to fill a book shelf like ours below.
Getting your books is super easy. Just follow these four steps:
- Buy any participating Coca-Cola, HERSHEY’S, Kellogg’s, or J.M. Smucker products at Walmart between 6/29/16 and 9/30/16. For a full list of participating products, refer to StartSchoolLikeAChampion.com.
- Join or log in to Kellogg’s Family Rewards.
- Upload your receipt within 30 days of purchase.
- Choose or donate your free book. (Yep, you can donate them directly to the charity or school of your choice!)
Before I wrap up this blog entry, I’d like to leave you with a short tutorial about how to make the ultimate reading nook for your little reader. It’s a little simpler than you might think and the reward — a tot who loves to read — is worth the effort!
- Choose a spot that’s comfortable and one that your little one enjoys spending lots of time.
- Make sure the space provides plenty of light.
- Don’t forget the books! If you can keep the reading material within an arm’s length, you’re in good shape.
- Also don’t forget the snacks! A juice box and some other snacks go a long way during those two hour reading sessions. Okay, she doesn’t read for two hours straight (I wish!). More like 15 minutes, which can seem like a blissful two hours to a busy mom!