Before my daughter was born, Christmas was just a day to spend with family over a good meal, giving presents and, of course, receiving. Now that I have a child, I’m excited to start some new family traditions. I would say that I’m more excited for Christmas now than I was as a kid.
Of course we do all the typical traditions – get a tree, watch Christmas movies and put milk and cookies out for Santa. But we also started things that we never did in our pre-baby days. Here are 10.
- Advent Calendar – This is the first year for us using an Advent Calendar, but it’s a fun way to celebrate the days leading up to Christmas. You can make one easily using one of these tutorials.
- Elf on the Shelf – We’ve jumped on the Elf on the Shelf bandwagon and are excited to see what mischief Ellie Twinkletoes will get into this year! I’ll be posting pictures throughout December.
- Donate – Now that our diva is 2, we want to start teaching her about giving back. We’re going to pick out some toys that she doesn’t play with anymore and donate them to Toys for Tots.
- Special Ornaments – Every year we all pick out one special ornament to adorn the tree with. We do have some traditional ornaments, but like the idea of having special ones that mean a lot to each of us. Last year we also got the pickle ornament, which is a cute tradition in itself. You can get one here for about $8.
- Christmas Eve Fun – On Christmas Eve we like to make fresh cookies for Santa while beef stew cooks in the crockpot.
- New Jammies – Every year we get our daughter new jammies to open on Christmas Eve for an especially cozy night of dreaming about Santa.
- Christmas Breakfast – I like to bake a casserole Christmas morning to keep us fueled for the long day of traveling and excitement. Plus mimosas for momma!
- The Night Before Christmas – We thought it only appropriate to read the Night Before Christmas on the night before Christmas. The diva loves it and it’s such a special time for us. We have this one. I love the graphics!
- Reindeer Cam – One of the things the diva loves best is watching Santa feed his Reindeer on Christmas Eve. It’s super cute!
- Reindeer Food – In addition to milk and cookies, we leave carrots for the reindeer. But now that the diva is two, we’re going to make reindeer food (safe for other critters, of course) to sprinkle on the yard this year.
What are your favorite Christmas traditions?