It’s officially fall and here in the northeast, it’s getting chilly and rainy. There’s nothing I love more on a cold, rainy day than cozying up with my family and a warm bowl of soup.
One of our family favorites is bacon broccoli cheddar soup. Because…bacon. It’s so creamy and cheesy that even your kids will eat it without complaint. Eating veggies without a battle? Score!
And bonus: You can whip it up in a snap. Simply pair with some crusty bread and glass of wine and you’ll feel like you’re having a gourmet meal out.
Without further ado, the recipe is below. If you try it, I’d love to hear what you think, so come back and let me know!
- 5 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a pot, drain grease
- Remove bacon and melt butter over medium heat
- Add onion and sautee until translucent
- Add grated carrot and minced garlic until soft
- Add flour and mix well
- Add milk and stir until mixed well with the flour
- Add chicken broth, broccoli and cooked bacon
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Add cheddar and stir until melted